Twenty people met in February of 1947 to discuss organizing a Lutheran Church. Services were held early that year in the Crabapple Restaurant in what was the old Bellevue Square shopping center. The congregation moved to the Bellevue Elementary School in August, where the first baptism and communion were celebrated. A homemade cross and candlesticks were used. On January 1, 1948 the congregation moved to the Chapel of Flowers, a wedding and funeral chapel. This beautiful and modern chapel attracted many new people. The congregation was formally organized in October of 1948. During World War II, sadly, Japanese-owned property became available to lease or purchase. Grace purchased the Buddhist Church facilities and grounds. First services were held there on February 12, 1950, and dedication followed on May 21 of that year. Charles R. Bomgren served as pastor from 1956 until 1981. During that time, the church facilities were sold and four acres purchased on NE 8th street--the current location of Grace.

 

Grace has been at its current location in the Lochleven neighborhood of West Bellevue for over fifty years (since 1962). We are here to welcome and serve all in our community.

 

For the history of the church that was written in 1968, click this link: 1968

For the history of the church that was written in 1988, click this link: 1988